I am THANKFUL. I am THANKFUL. I am THANKFUL.
Mostly I am thankful that you aren’t here right now to witness a meltdown over really nothing more frustrating than trying to cycle in a straight line through rush-hour traffic and maintain some kind of momentum whilst fighting a head-wind (which held me back NO MATTER WHICH DIRECTION I WAS CYCLING IN), rain-and-mud-spattered glasses preventing me from seeing properly, and assholes in SUVs who think it wise to get as close to the cyclist as possible and roar past,
By the time the stress and frustration got to the point where all of my muscles had clenched, my breath was coming in weird, sobbing gasps, and I was about to fall off my bike in angry tears, I decided that I hate cycling, hate traffic, hate the world and everything in it and would quite like to bite it all very hard and scratch its eyes out.
Lucky for Husby I came home and he was out. It’s like he knew…
So I did the sensible thing. I showered, I put on a load of laundry, I ranted and raved when Husby did come in. And I sat down to write my pre-written-on-the-back-of-a-receipt-list-of-Ten because I’m going OUT tonight, to the cinema, with my friend SusieQ, and I know that at least ONE other co-host is all ready and raring to go and I’m sick of being late to my own hop and holding them back because I haven’t gotten my act together. So this is me. Getting my act together. Whatever.
1. I got to go clothes shopping at my Sister’s house this week. Which made life easier for me, because I find clothes shopping an absolutely torturous exercise designed to inflict maximum anxiety and awfulness on a person. And have done for years. AND it meant that I was able to take off her hands some stuff she had lying around cluttering up the place which she no longer wears. Reduce, re-use, recycle – that’s where it’s at!
2. The sunshine came back, for like a day. And I was happy. For a day. There was no rain, no clouds, a fresh breeze and beautiful warmth. I didn’t even have to *try* to be a twinklysparklyhappy person because I WAS! And it was lovely. I hope it comes back again. I really, really, really hope it comes back again. Soon.
3. Friends who check in on me. Cannot, cannot, cannot, CANNOT be thankful enough for this. Big, HUGE thankful. It means a lot.
4. Date night with Husby at a new place – a pub along one of the routes I cycle. Nice, large place full of old, dark beams, low ceilings and quirky, mis-matched chairs. Good food, not too pricey, and a good time out. I even forgot my phone (accidentally, though I do tend not to use it when we’re out on a date) and didn’t miss it because we were having fun talking.
5. My wonderful WonderAunty gave me a little card of encouragement – it says “If you just can’t find that silver lining…let me help you look”. Perfect or what?! She filled it full of lovely things she thinks about me, which is very sweet of her.
6. I arrived home to a fascinating and wonderful package from Indiana, which contained some wonderful ‘thank you’ goodies from Christine. There was a beautiful picture drawn by her youngest, Cuckoo, and a pair of John Deere socks and a Tractor company t-shirt each for me, Mum and WonderAunty. I took them round after date night, and the three of us had great fun posing for silly photographs to send to Christine (and no, you can’t see – I had to swear secrecy).
7. Pilates class on Wednesday – I needed it. It made everything feel worthwhile again. There was laughter, there were compliments on some of my pilate-ing, there was friendship, there was hard work and there was a sense of achievement. I am very, very lucky to have such a place.
Going to Brighton with my Sister to the amazing shoe shop Well crap – it just got called off, and now I don’t have a #8. I think given the mood I’m in, I’ll stomp up to those GuardVirgins, take the SBOR (or BOSR) and declare that THE ENTIRE THING SAYS I CAN MISS #8 AND IF THEY WANT TO MAKE ANYTHING OF IT, BRING IT ON – I AM READYYYYYYYYYYY *scowls*
9. It was my second Blogaversary on Tuesday. Big whoop. I wrote about it. I said that really it was the people which make blogging special, not me or my writing particularly or anything else – it’s the relationships and the community. I still think that. Just don’t ask me to be nice about it right now. I’m thankful, ‘kay?
10. Last Monday when it rained and rained and rained and never felt like it would stop, I got to go round to Mum’s and snuggle up and have two games of Scrabble. I won one and lost one, which seems reasonable enough. It was a nice day not to be working. Because rain.
Go on then, and do a better, less snarly list of thankful than this one. Should be dead easy and perchance by halfway through Saturday I shall be wishing I’d not written this but yaknow what – it’s my blog and I’ll write on it in whatever mood I like. You can always just skim through.
*stomps off, chucking thunderclouds for good measure, cos glitter is entirely too sparkly*